The Arctic Quest 1832 team standing in a row beside their discovery: rusted engine parts from The Victory
Testing rugged, portable communications equipment above the arctic circle

It’s been manic this last two months getting ready for the expedition liasing with Canada and the Nunavut. It has been non-stop.

On Friday 16th July we loaded our equipment and the boats IDS International and Triton International for their journey north.

Thank you to Air Canada Cargo for their sponsorship and technical advice.

The boats and equipment weigh 950kgs, which we will have to carry across the mountains to Thom Bay.

The team have been working hard in the gym to build good muscle strength for the haul.

Our press day at HMS President was a great success with Regional and national coverage of the expedition. Baz Campbell my right hand man has been putting the team through its paces with a day on the range at Lympstone, thanks to Commando Training Centre Royal Marines.

We also conducted two weekends at the Royal Marines water sports centre in Exmouth. Thanks to Dave Hay and all of his team. Baz has also been learning about Arctic vegetation, working towards his contribution to the post expedition report.

Paul Cronin has been learning how to operate our satellite communications equipment, which has been kindly been loaned to us by uncle Peter at 7E Communications.

Sue Cox has been compiling the expedition historical data assisted by Mark Hankey who has been finding various family heirlooms in his attic relating to his great, great, great Grandfather Sir John Ross himself!!

Craig Haslam has spent most of his time with his head in marine engine literature; his role of the marine engineer is vital. Not only to ensure the mighty Triton and IDS have propulsion, also to safeguard the motors as our primary power supply. Again another thanks to Baz and Pete in Poole for their advice and support to the expedition.

Mark Cowell has been organising all of the teams stores and learning all about Arctic Wildlife. Mark is also the team joker with a vast array of funny stories to keep the team amused on the expedition.

The support team lead by Adrian Wibrew the expedition’s project manager has done an amazing job in making this expedition a reality, without Adrian’s drive the expedition simply wouldn’t have happened.

Our official photographer Tony Matthews has also done a sterling job recording every aspect of the expedition so far.

The ice conditions in the Arctic are not good at the moment so fingers crossed the ice will clear soon.

We will be updating the website from the Arctic twice a week during the expedition so keep coming back to check our progress.

Today is the 22nd July and I’m at Gatwick, about to depart. One last thank you, to all who have contributed to this project in any way shape or form.

To my team: relax and have a good weekend, as soon you will be mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!